2014 Madone 7 Series

2014 Madone 7 Series

Friday, May 4, 2012

Re-Charged

I went to Jamaica recently for my brother's wedding. Tammy and I left April 26th and were back home May 2nd at midnight. We had a blast, no help to the weather man. I rained every day and for most part of the day. Still managed to get a little tan though. We didn't let the weather get us down and we made the best of it. It did stop for the wedding and pictures, so lucky.
Back to bike related stuff. Before we left I tried to stress my body a lot knowing I was going to get plenty of recovery. I did ok at this, but, I was hoping to get more stress before I left. Oh well, you can only do so much with the allowed time. I could have used one more hard day of training, so my timing was a little off.
I did get out on Wednesday for the OBC ride. I started from home and met up with the group at the start of their ride. We started pretty calm for the most part and then Joe Curtes wanted to go harder so he started pushing a bit harder on Cedar Creek (?) towards Hwy M. Kept pushing it down Hwy M and then for the most part the ride was ON. I was wondering how my legs were going to react after the time off. I didn't have any problems keeping up and I even tried to help when I could. About midway coming south out of Newburg before one of the sprint signs there was a crash. Well, not really a crash because no one went down. But, there was some carnage, I heard a broken rear derailleur, and some broken spokes on a wheel. Two different people, I did wait along with @ 10 others, to make sure everyone was ok. They were ok, but couldn't resume riding. Mean while most of the group went up the road.
We started working together getting a pace line going, at least the best we could with the different abilities that we had. This was going relatively smooth and we moving along well. We managed to catch the main group by Hwy 60 and Hornes Corners. This for me is great timing, I was able to sit in recover and get ready for the final sprint. I timed this perfect and Jim G. launched early and I waited for the right moment to go. I did pass Jim before the sign, so I am very pleased with my legs.
Thursday I went out too and was able to get in 20 minutes before meeting up with the West Bend group ride that starts at 6pm. It was a small group of only 3, and we had a good tempo ride. We missed Dave H. on the ride!
Anyways I am taking the day off today and have a lot of things to get done before I leave early tomorrow morning. I am headed to Minnesota to do a road race and then to LaCrosse to do a TT on Saturday. I will be doing a criterium on Sunday which is also in LaCrosse. I am plenty fresh, but my fitness is down a little, but when I compare myself to others I feel I am riding pretty strong. I am hoping by the end of the weekend my fitness will be where it was when I left, and if I am lucky maybe even gain some extra fitness.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, shucks! I missed you guys, too. But with a mountain bike race planned for Sunday, I was hoping to put in some time at New Fane. Then the thunderstorms came and I figured the trails would be muddy, so I didn't want to do damage by riding on them. I opted instead for an Eisenbahn ride on my cyclocross bike ... kind of a TT, really: 32 mostly-gravel miles in 1:50. That's 56 minutes to Campbellsport and 54 back home. A 17.5 mph average is not bad for that route. Good luck in La Crosse! See you soon.

    ReplyDelete