2014 Madone 7 Series

2014 Madone 7 Series

Monday, April 16, 2012

GDVC '12 #1

Sunday morning I checked the weather wondering if the race was going to happen. The radar actually wasn't too bad and I new I would still be taking my chances. It was warm 70 degrees but very windy. My wife did join me for the race and my father-in-law and his girl friend also came out to watch.
I lined up with one other team mate (Brian P.) this was his third race. The race started normal nothing crazy, but before long the attacks were launched and didn't take long before a group of 4 was off the front and maybe a lap later 2 more jumped off the front. I was not in the right position for any of those attacks. The bigger teams were represented well and they were blocking for the breakaway. I launched my own attack 5 laps to go, but I was only able to stay away for 2 laps. I then recovered in the small peloton and waited for the sprint finish. I timed it perfect and was able to get behind someone that pulled me to the front and then some. So, I only had to pass him for the field sprint. I passed him pretty easily placing 7th on the day.
I do need to be more aggressive and get into these breaks early. I don't want to make any excuses, but I am on the older side of the bunch. These younger racers are very punchy and it doesn't seem hard all the time. With that being said I am glad I went off the front for a little bit, because it was way too easy to just ride in the peloton.
Next up Saturday Menomonee Park, Sunday GDVC #2.

No comments:

Post a Comment