2014 Madone 7 Series

2014 Madone 7 Series

Monday, April 2, 2012

Burnahm Criterium/Sunday Team Ride

Saturday at 9am Ryan picked me up and we headed out, meeting up with Brian as he car pooled behind us. The race was held at Blackhawk Race track in South Beloit, Illinois. The weather was suppose to be a lot warmer than what it really was. They were off by 15 degrees. The winds were a factor a little and it was very cloudy.
Brian, Ryan and myself raced all together in the M30+ 1,2,3,4, what a wide variety of categories. Ryan is a 4 looking to upgrade to a 3 and Brian and myself are 3's. We arrived early and watched the juniors race and then we ate something and started warming up. We didn't have any team tactics planned which is ok, none of us didn't know what kind of form we have and didn't know who was showing up or what kind of pace it was going to be. This is a 45 minute race and a flat road course.
Race went sort of like this. Lined up and we were given our instructions and then we were off. I had some trouble getting my right foot clipped in but didn't matter I was able to keep pedaling and not loose any ground. I watched a couple breaks go and get caught and I forced a short break too that was caught. Eventually though there was a break that did go and it seemed like it was going to get caught but never did. I wish I would have tried to bridge up to it, but I thought for sure it was going to get caught. I believe I had the legs to get to the break. Anyways it didn't happen and then on the last lap when normally the pace gets driven to a higher speed this was not the case. It was so slow and my position was so terrible. I was blocked in the back from other racers taking up the whole course from side to side. Unbelievable I thought to myself and what the hell am I going to do. All I could do was wait and wait and finally on the final straight which is 500 meters they went. I started sprinting and was pinched off slow down and go around and in between racers. I did manage to pass a bunch of racers before the finish line, but I know I could have done so much better if I would have been to the front.
I am frustrated a bit, but I am over it. I know myself and my team mates are far from pro, but I was hoping that they would have helped me out a bit more. They didn't help me at all! Maybe they were struggling just to stay in? I managed to squeeze out a 18th place finish, Ryan 29th, and Brian 31st. I still had fun and it was great hanging out with friends.
Sunday, was Team Extreme's "No Drop" ride. The ride started at Extreme Ski & Bike in Thiensville. This by the way was a last minute decision to go. I woke up at and decided I was going at 7:15am. I was on my bike at 7:45am to meet Brian in Cedarburg at 8:30am and then to the bike shop at 9am. I rode pretty hard to Brian's house and then easy to the shop.
We started at 9:15am and I was staying in the back. I was really cold, my sweat has cooled and my body temperature has come down. After maybe 10-20 minutes in the back I went to the front. I needed to keep the pedals moving and in order for me to do that I needed to be in the front. This helped with my cold as now I was doing some more work warming up my body. I was being very nice to everyone riding in Z2 and Z3 on the climbs. I didn't want to drop anyone and make sure everyone was comfortable. This changed as we started to head back. Pace picked up a little especially on the climbs. I put in a couple hard efforts "dropping" some people. We did wait for people, so it was a good ride. This was a 35 mile route with the team, then I rode home. Brian accompanied me to the east side of West Bend and then broke off. I had 80 miles total. Another good day in the saddle.
Upcoming, Monday short easy ride, Tuesday motor pacing, Wednesday easy ride, Thursday Hillside hill repeats, Friday off, Saturday Drop the Doc, Sunday not sure what I will be able to squeeze in, I know I have family obligations since it is Easter. Next race is GDVC #1 on 4/15/12.

No comments:

Post a Comment