2014 Madone 7 Series

2014 Madone 7 Series

Monday, March 26, 2012

Ripon Spring Classic

Saturday morning cool, misty, & foggy. Brian P. (team mate) picked me up at 6:30am and then we headed to Ripon. We were doing a fundraising ride for the college bicycle team. It was a 110 mile ride that had a bunch of gravel sections and plenty of hills. It was the perfect weather for a Belgium spring classic. My bicycle was clean prior, and by the end it looked like I was mountain biking with it. Great route!
There was about 40 riders and all was good until we hit the first gravel road. You know what happen then? Flat tires, there were a lot of flat tires. There was a sag vehicle, but we were waiting for people to change the tubes. This became very annoying after wasting about 20 minutes. One of the biggest problems with group rides is the pace/power. Especially when you have a variety of talent or lack of. The up hills people seemed to power up them and then coast down hill, this is not very efficient way to ride for 110 miles. So, what ended up happening after about 40 miles is that Erik L, Kyle J, Brian P, and myself started riding by our selves. The group pulled away from us and we started pace lining and eventually caught back up to them.
We kept doing our pace line and for a little while nobody disrupted what we were doing, but that didn't take long and then some riders rotated in and didn't know what they were doing screwing things up. They stopped at a bar and we waited for a bit and then decided to keep going, but added 2 more IS Corp riders. I am sure the group wasn't far behind. We took a wrong turn, but we were back on track in no time. We then saw the group coming up from behind us and we just kept going with our pace. We were coming to a climb and they were getting really close and Kyle said, on this climb we will drill it a little and drop as many people as possible. It was a pretty long steep climb and we did just that, there were only like four people that stayed with us from that group. Some of these new riders were powering up the hills too, but after I said something they stopped and were riding smooth. At miles 72 was the lunch stop, where some of us filled up with fluids, and some stayed to eat. At this point it was down to 5 of us to finish the ride.
As we got closer to the end I was getting extremely tired and every hill was a struggle. I was not the only one hurting and I was glad I had the fitness to finish the ride. I am was happy when it was done and all I wanted to do was EAT! Brian and I then stopped for food and then he dropped me off.
This was a long day and I am very thankful for having an understanding wife and puts up with my bicycling hobby. I was gone all day, not getting home till 6:30pm, and by the time I was unpacked and hanging out with her it was 7pm.
Sunday, I washed my bicycle and then went for a quick 30 minute easy ride. I had to be ready to leave the house at 9:30am to go to the home show in Milwaukee. As for the week of training; Monday, not sure yet, may go for a ride, but I might have to mow my grass again, that will be the third time this year. If I go for a ride it will only be for an hour and will be easy. Still need a little more time to recover. Tuesday, will depend on rain or not, if it is not raining I am going to motor pace. Wednesday, depends on my TSS, I might meet up with OBC or just do my own thing. Thursday, I will probably only ride of an hour to hour and half. Friday, will probably be a rest day, but might go for a little leg opener. Saturday, if the weather is ok I will race in Illinois. Sunday, hoping for a 3 hour endurance ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment