2014 Madone 7 Series

2014 Madone 7 Series

Monday, April 20, 2015

Trocadero/GDVC #2

Trocadero Criterium on Saturday was held at the Menomonee/Lannon Park in Menomonee Falls. The weather started out with very strong winds that were quite chilly. I arrived early to watch some of my fellow team mates race in the earlier races. One of my team mates forgot a jersey so, I lent him mine to use for his race. The course is 1.7 mile loop that is winding with 2 small rollers. Average temperature of my race was 64 degrees and the wind calmed down quite a bit.
As I was warming up it kept getting warmer and warmer. Weather was feeling quite pleasant. Tammy rode her bicycle to the race course. She was able to get her ride in and watch me race. She was nervous, but made it safe and sound. Thanks for coming dear! She rode home with me.  She was glad that she did it.
I had 2 other team mates in my race. Brian and Terry, they both raced before too. Terry said that if he had anything in the tank at the end he would try to help lead me out. The race had plenty of attacks trying to establish a break away. Plenty of people not satisfied with who was in the breaks. Every single one was brought back. I felt really good during this race and also felt that this was a very easy race! For some reason I didn't have any ant+ data, no heart rate, no power, no cadence. Just speed which uses satellites. With 2 laps to go the race which at this point goes really fast and normally is pretty tough. Not this time! Nobody wanted to be in the wind! With 1 lap to go it still wasn't really going. With a half a lap to go I was getting really antsy but was really boxed in. At this point I was behind Terry and I told him to find some holes and start moving up. He wasn't taking very good lines and I found a hole and was able to start moving up. Quarter lap left I just kept pushing foreword trying to get as for foreword as possible before the last corner. I didn't do a full blown sprint because I wasn't going to be able to pass anyone. I just rode hard enough that no one else would pass me. I feel good about the race, but I do feel that I could have done better. I needed to start moving up sooner and be aggressive.
After the race I changed my clothes and went and checked results and it showed that I finished 9th. Super excited about that, but I didn't think I was that close to the front. Sunday the results were posted to USAC and showed that I finished 12th out 45ish races. I believe that is correct.
GDVC #2 on Sunday held in Madison same place as the previous weekend. Weather was awesome! Average temperature was 74 degrees, with lots of sun. The winds were not as strong as the previous weekend, but it was still a little windy. I contemplated running my 7's, but opted to stay with my 3's.
I had no team mates today. I was going to try to be more aggressive with trying to get into a break. I was keeping an eye on key racers and would go with them if my position would allow me to do so. There were plenty of attacks, but the one that matter I believe came about 20 minutes into the race. I didn't manage to go with that one and of course that is the one that stayed away. It was a group of 3. There were times that others were trying to bridge and I tried going with them many times. Everything that I went with didn't go hard for very long. We were not working well together. One guy decided to go for it and nobody chased him. Stupid, I wish I would have, I was in a good position too when he attacked. He was super strong! He was able to stay away and finish 4th! Nice work man! I sprinted this time, but I was a little to far back on the last lap. The direction that the wind was coming out of made it tough to pass others on the final straight. Especially from the position I was in.
I am satisfied with the race for the most part. I checked results at the end and they showed me at 10th out of 25ish racers. We will see if that stands when they officially get posted to USAC.

No comments:

Post a Comment